Monday 13 September 2010

Nanny's Buttons

I spent weekend with my family in England - got to see my nephew and have a play in the garden with him :-D Anyway... whilst I was there I thought I would ask my Mum for some buttons for the "Edgar" cardigan I am working on. I could just go and buy 6 buttons from the sewing shop but since I like vintage things (being raised in a family of antique restorers) I thought that some old, used buttons would age the cardigan nicely.

There was always a tin of buttons hanging when we were younger and I used to love looking at them - all those colours and forgotten clothes that they had come from - and it was also where old Scout and Girl Guide badges ended up too. Unfortunetly Mum had given her tin of buttons away (to a local knitting group), but she had a collection that belonged to my Nan Eva that they hadn't given away.

So out came the old tea tin, battered. Dad took the lid off, and we poured out the "gems" on to a tray. Wow! what a nice collection. A real mix of ages - from early 1930s-present. There was pearl buttons, and green glass buttons, and red plastic buttons. And I found 6 cream, cracked buttons that will work great on "Edgar" giving me the finish I desire.

I've taken some pictures for you to see the few that I brought home with me for future projects or just to keep in my sewing draw to make me think of my Nan. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment