Wednesday 6 October 2010

Men's lace scarf challenge

As you saw in my previous post I have finished a lace triangular scarf in a simple repeat pattern. This is for a friend's wife. But I love the look of lace and have got to wondering if there are lace scarf patterns for men out there. I searched through Ravelry and there are the regular wrap scarfs that are unisex but I'm talking about an open-work lace piece, something that is delicate, that could be worn by a man (namely me, as I have a really nice red 2ply lace yarn that I would like to use for myself).

So the challenge is to find a repeat pattern that could be made in to a rectangular scarf that would be considered "masculine" enough. I'm thinking at the moment of a 'drooping elm leaf' pattern or 'christmas trees' as shown in B. Walker's A Treasury of Knitting.

Let's see what happens...

Besides this idea I'm still working on Edgar. Having to adjust the arms to meet the tension of modern yarn, and the first sock is almost finished.

Keep knitting!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nat!

    I have done a few lace scarves for men... I'd be happy to share the stitch patterns I used. Drop me a line over on Ravelry, and I'll tell you all about it! I've been working on Tuesday evenings, and haven't been able to get to the group... I'd still really love to come!

    Christopher (cjadam)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes please Christopher, what stitch patterns did you use?

    ReplyDelete